The Fall 2016 Biological Topics in French pilot workshop has ended. The two student groups presented their excellent collaborative final projects in a session attended by instructors and faculty of the Department of French and Italian at UCSB.
To see PDF files of the students’ final presentations, follow this link.
The following are student comments from their course evaluations:
- “Throughout the course, I was exposed to scientific French, biological concepts, and presentation skills, all of which I felt greatly improved my comfort level with academic and professional French.”
- “I really enjoyed this course because it helped my personal growth as a student. Having to create a project and then present and write about it in a different language expanded my capacities as a student. I learned a lot from my peers.”
- “I was able to craft a presentation with fellow students on a subject I otherwise would never have been able to. This class gave me an opportunity to practice public speaking, whereas most classes are writing/reading based.”
- “It’s often difficult to get speaking practice in a French class, as well as academic French practice, so I really appreciated that this course focused on those things.”
- “I think that I really enjoyed creating a final psychology paper in French because it showed me that I was capable of presenting a scientific topic in another language.”